Dental Problems That Make You an Invisalign Candidate
The beauty of Invisalign is this treatment can correct nearly all the same alignment problems that conventional metal braces fix. The complexity of each person’s case will be the deciding factor but, for many adults and some teens, Invisalign can take care of:
- Open bite
- Cross bite
- Crooked teeth
The initial Invisalign exam includes 3D imaging, x-rays, and a full evaluation of your mouth – all this information, plus a mouth that is clean and free of tooth decay, will make it clear to your Bethesda Invisalign provider whether you are a good Invisalign candidate.
Types of Invisalign
The Invisalign method is tried and true, however, every qualified Invisalign candidate’s treatment time and intensity will vary based on the severity of their case. Some of the most common types of treatment with clear aligners include:
- Invisalign Full: The traditional Invisalign method that aligns both top and bottom teeth simultaneously. Requires 12 to 18 months to complete.
- Invisalign Lite: For patients who have a handful of crooked teeth, overcrowding, or small spaces. Usually takes six to nine months to complete.
- Invisalign Express: For former orthodontic patients whose teeth moved back to misaligned positions. Can take three to six months to make corrections.
- Invisalign Teen: Designed for tweens and teens, follows the Invisalign Full regimen, and includes eruption tabs and compliance indicators to ensure treatment is being honored. Takes 12 to 18 months to complete.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
Once it has been determined that you qualify for Invisalign, there’s only one more question to answer: Is Invisalign right for you? There are lifestyle adjustments that need to be made for any type of orthodontic treatment, but the benefits of Invisalign and the results of wearing the aligners are worth the time and energy. Here are just some of the reasons patients are happy to be an Invisalign candidate:
- Discretion: You may have wanted straight teeth for a long time but you didn’t like the idea of noticeable brackets and wires. The clear, thin Invisalign aligners fit snugly against the teeth and are nearly impossible to see.
- Comfort: No matter what method you choose to shift your teeth, there will be some pressure and discomfort at times but clear trays will always be smooth so your lips move easily around them.
- Freedom: Food restrictions are one of the biggest complaints of orthodontic patients. When you wear Invisalign, trays must be removed for all meals, so you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want.
Everyone wants straight teeth for their own reasons – usually because they want a more attractive smile or they’re tired of food getting stuck in their teeth, regular tooth decay, or discomfort. Some of the reasons people want to be an Invisalign candidate specifically include the following:
- Speed: Compared to metal braces, Invisalign can take about half the time to straight smiles – about one year. If you have minor misalignment, treatment time can be even shorter. Invisalign moves teeth and roots simultaneously, a few teeth at a time, which speeds up the process.
- Flexibility: While the trays should be worn 20 to 22 hours a day and only removed for meals, if you really need to take Invisalign out for a small amount of time, you have the flexibility to do so.
- Easy upkeep: Brushing and flossing teeth is a challenge with regular braces but maintaining oral hygiene with Invisalign is easy because you simply remove the trays to get the job done. (Don’t forget to clean the trays too to keep them clear and odor-free.)
Find Out If You’re an Invisalign Candidate in Bethesda
Want to learn more about Invisalign and find out if you’re an Invisalign candidate? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Deborah Tabb at Bethesda Family Dentistry, in Bethesda, MD. We will discuss your current oral health, smile goals, lifestyle, and whether Invisalign is right for you in all ways. Contact us to make an appointment.
- Discreet: You want straight teeth, but you don’t think everyone needs to know about your journey to get there. Invisalign is discreet, barely noticeable thanks to thin, tight-fitting, clear trays. Manage your job, school life, socializing, and more without anyone being the wiser about your orthodontics.
- Freedom: For the times when you want to take a break from your orthodontics, Invisalign has a small amount of built-in freedom because wearers must remove the trays to eat. Enjoy your favorite meals without any restrictions and pop out the aligners when you just need a break for a few minutes.
- Fast: Braces typically take about two years to complete. Invisalign only takes about half that time, an average of one year, though some patients require less time and others need a little more.
A great reason to be interested in orthodontics, whether you’re an Invisalign candidate or not, is that your oral health will improve. Straight teeth are easier to clean, which means your future dental health will be better because of your orthodontic journey.