Gum Disease Treatment
Over half of all American adults suffer from some form of gum disease, whether it’s the early stages of gingivitis or full-blown periodontitis. Without gum disease treatment, though, this serious oral health condition will progress and begin to break apart a smile, leading to serious pain and, eventually, tooth loss. At Bethesda Family Dentistry in Bethesda, MD, our team delivers gentle, immediate gum disease treatment to save your teeth and gums from destruction.
Diagnosing Gum Disease
Most people can’t diagnose gum disease on their own, which is why it’s so important to visit your dentist every six months for a teeth cleaning and checkup. Some symptoms can be difficult to recognize, especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for, like:
- Bad breath
- Gum recession
- Loose teeth
Gum disease is a build-up of plaque and bacteria on the teeth and, once it’s begun, it won’t go away on its own and will progress to the next stage until the bone that supports your teeth is destroyed, the soft tissues are damaged, and teeth and gums separate from each other. Dental intervention is necessary and the only way to truly eliminate gum disease.
The Truth About Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease is a common problem, unfortunately, but many people don’t understand the extent of it or just how severely it can compromise your oral health. Here are some of the most critical facts to know:
- All gum disease is treatable – but you need gum disease treatment from an experienced dentist for effective results.
- You can’t clean up gum disease on your own with vigorous brushing and flossing. The infection is deep in your gums and must be removed with dental tools.
- Different stages of gum disease require different types of gum disease treatment. Your dentist will diagnose your circumstances and explain the best solution for the condition.
- Relapse isn’t inevitable. Your dental team will educate you on how to properly care for your oral health and the best products to use to keep your gums clean, healthy, and free from disease.
Types of Gum Disease Treatment
Your Bethesda family dentist offers several types of gum disease treatment, but not every option is right for every
patient. Here are some of the potential treatments you may undergo:
- Scaling and root planing: The most common dental therapy for gum disease, scaling and root planing is mostly intended for early infection. This deep cleaning method removes the plaque that causes gingivitis from below the gum line to stop bacteria from further developing. This method is typically carried out manually.
- Laser treatment: When gum disease is severe and surgical intervention is needed to prevent tooth loss from occurring, periodontal laser therapy is a sophisticate and minimally invasive way to destroy the bacteria that causes periodontal disease. The laser is welcomed by patients because it causes less bleeding or swelling and allows for faster recovery.
- Antibiotics: Gum disease is an infection, and antibiotics can help fight the problem from the inside while your dentist addresses the problem topically. Together the two treatments effectively combat gum disease.
Don’t Wait to Get Gum Disease Treatment
You never want to wait to get gum disease treatment. If you suspect that something is wrong with your teeth or gums, contact your Bethesda family dentist right away for help. And do not be embarrassed to visit your dentist for help. We have seen teeth and gums in all states of disrepair – our job is to help you revive your oral health, whatever it takes, and support you in keeping your natural teeth and maintaining a healthy mouth. Schedule an appointment with us today at one of our two Bethesda dental offices.