Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings
Composite tooth-colored fillings are a versatile dental restoration and cosmetic dentistry repair. At Bethesda Family Dental, in Bethesda, MD, we use tooth-colored fillings to correct a variety of dental problems, allowing us to repair and beautify teeth simultaneously.
Problems Fixed by Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings
Composite fillings are typically considered as a solution for cavities. While this repair is indeed commonly used for fixing small or medium cavities in both front and back teeth, they can fix far more than tooth decay, including:
Fillings are strong enough to withstand daily chewing force, and their presence not only addresses an existing problem but helps prevent future problems from occurring. The composite material is stabilizing and it can strengthen and protect a tooth and its neighbors. Plus, of course, composite tooth-colored fillings blend into the rest of your smile making them the preferred choice for visible cavities or other problems.
The Composite Tooth-Colored Filling Procedure
Fixing tooth decay is a simple, routine procedure in dental offices. Placing composite tooth-colored fillings goes something like this:
- Prep: The area to be treated is numbed to prevent discomfort.
- Removal: Any decayed tissue is removed from the tooth and the area is thoroughly cleaned.
- Filling: The composite is applied to the tooth and hardened with a special light. This step is repeated until the tooth is the right thickness and size to blend in with neighboring teeth.
- Finishing: The filling is shaped and polished so it resembles the surrounding tooth and feels natural when the patient bites down.
Composite fillings can last for years if you take good care of your oral health. Brush twice a day, floss at least once a day, and visit your Bethesda dentist every six months for a teeth cleaning and dental exam, especially if you develop a teeth-grinding problem that could jeopardize the health of your teeth, fillings, and other dental work.
Benefits of Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings are the repair of choice for plenty of tooth decay and dental damage. Here are just some of the benefits of getting this type of dental restoration:
- Looks natural: No one wants a dental repair that sticks out and screams “I needed to get a tooth fixed!” Composite material blends right in with tooth enamel and fixes the problem without drawing attention to its existence.
- Limits other problems: Cavities or other dental problems that go unaddressed will never self-correct and usually turn into more complex problems that require serious dental care. A tooth-colored fillings can eliminate the need for serious repairs and invasive dental work.
- Safe: Silver amalgam filling material used to be a common choice in cavity repair, but its composition threatens tooth structure and can cause allergic reactions for anyone sensitive to metals. Some patients even request that their silver fillings be replaced by composite fillings.
- Durable: A tooth compromised by a cavity or other problem is weak, but a composite tooth-colored filling bonds firmly and supports and stabilizes the tooth so that biting, chewing, and speaking is easy.
- Healthy: Composite fillings are dental repairs that reinforce the tooth structure, creating a tooth that is healthier and far less likely to develop repeat problems in the same area in the future.
Get Tooth-Colored Fillings in Bethesda, MD
The dental team at Bethesda Family Dental treats patients of all ages, giving them composite tooth-colored fillings as necessary to repair, protect, and beautify their teeth. If you have a dental problem, contact our office right away for a consultation and find out if a composite filling is the right solution.